Soybean or soy is a legume that has become one of the most widely consumed foods in many parts of the world. Native to East Asia, soybeans are a good source of calcium, fiber, potassium, magnesium, and polyunsaturated fats like omega-3 and omega-6. A whole food with the most amount of protein (52 grams per 100 grams) soybean belongs to the plant protein category and has all the amino acids that act as the building blocks of protein. This protein-filled legume is available in different varieties such as:
- Green Soya bean, a young variety called edamame can be boiled and consumed as a healthy snack
- Yellow soya bean is generally used to make soymilk and tofu
- Black soya beans are fermented and used extensively in a spectrum of traditional
Also Being one of the abundant and affordable sources of protein, soybean is indispensable in the diets of people in numerous parts of the world. Below listed are five amazing benefits of consuming soybean:
- Strengthens bones- Soybeans are rich in minerals, vitamins, zinc, copper, calcium, selenium, and magnesium, all of which helps in keeping the bones stronger and healthy. Soy-based foods comprise of chemicals known as isoflavones, which have a similar structure to estrogen, and thus, it helps in strengthening bones and lowers the risk of getting osteoporosis. Women who are known to be at a higher risk to get osteoporosis, which makes bones weaker after menopause. A research conducted by the University of Illinois also suggests that soybeans help in combating osteoporosis in females. The women participating in the study were able to expand 2.2% of their bone density by eating a few ounces of soybean over a period of six months. Not only that, the high level of mineral and vitamin content in soybean helps in combating osteoporosis in males as well.
- Aids healthy weight management- Soybean is a celebrated food because of its high protein content which helps in building leaner muscles and managing weight healthily. The high content of protein in the legume helps the body to stay fuller and avoid unnecessary cravings for food. It also helps in regulating the insulin levels of the body, which further helps in keeping obesity at bay.
- Promotes heart health- Soybeans are a rich source of healthy unsaturated fats which, help in lowering cholesterol. People suffering from high LDL cholesterol are more likely to experience heart diseases. The fatty acids available in it, namely linolenic acid and linoleic acids, popularly known as omega-3 fatty acids, boost anti-inflammatory effects and play a crucial role in brain and eye health. Consuming soybeans can help boost your cardiovascular system by reducing bad cholesterol levels.
- Stimulates metabolism- As soybeans are a great source of protein, it can help the human body achieve a higher metabolism. If taken in the right quantity, the proteins available in soybean ensures that the body performs all the metabolic activities well and enhances overall wellbeing by giving it a boost. Soybeans' high nutritional value further helps in promoting the growth, repair, and renewal of cells.
- Improves blood circulation- Soybean is a rich source of iron and copper, the two minerals that are vital for the formation of red blood cells in the body. Thus, if we consume soybean, we will be providing the body with the two minerals responsible for the creation of red blood cells. With the proper amount of red blood cells in the body, all the essential functions required to get the necessary blood and oxygen flow perform without any obstacles. Thus, soybeans help in improving blood circulation and at the same time increases energy levels.
India's Protein Paradox Study states that most vegetarians in India think that they have limited options to fulfil their daily protein requirements. Furthermore, it was also found that Indian households may not be able to identify top protein rich foods such as soybean, that are easily available, and highly economic to consume. Lack of awareness is identified as the main cause of concern, in addition to probably being one of the main causes of the prolonged protein deficiency in the country. Therefore, for all groups of the society to adequately fulfil their daily protein intake, it is crucial to increase more protein awareness which will help people in identifying and including top protein rich food sources such as soybean, in their daily diets.
Find out all about whole foods that are protein heroes! Achieve your fitness goals by finding out just how much protein you should incorporate to stay nourished.